Mental Health First Aid Course
The role of a Mental Health First Aider at work or in the education environment is to be a point of contact for any colleague who might be experiencing a mental health issue or emotional distress. This could range from having a simple conversation right through to supporting the colleague to get the appropriate help.
Our Mental Health First Aid training course is designed to teach participants how to spot the signs and symptoms of mental ill health, and to be able to provide help on a first-aid basis.
Just like physical 1st Aid, Mental Health First Aiders help preserve lives
Who should become a Mental Health First Aider?
The course is open to all, but in general, there are three main considerations in determining who should take on the role:
- Do they have a desire to learn about mental health and be supportive of others?
- Will they be provided with the required time and support to attend the training and fulfill their role once trained?
- Do they have line management responsibilities which could benefit from the training?
The Mental Health First Aider training
The comprehensive awareness-and-skills course runs over two days, and includes a mix of presentations, discussions and group work activities. You’ll be trained to:
- Notice the early signs and symptoms of mental ill health
- Start a conversation with a fellow employee who may be experiencing a mental health issue or emotional distress
- Listen to a colleague non-judgementally
- Assess the risk of self-harm or suicide
- Encourage your colleague to access the appropriate professional support or self-help strategies.
- Maintain confidentiality
- Complete critical incident documents as and when necessary
- Protect your own mental wellbeing while performing your role
This course delivers results on many levels:
- Just taking part in this course will go towards helping raise awareness of mental health and wellbeing in your workplace or education environment
- It will help reduce the stigma around mental health issues and boosts knowledge and confidence in dealing with mental health issues.
- It will engender a deeper understanding of the issues that impact on and relate to your fellow employees, staff and students’ mental health and wellbeing
- It will teach you, and a small number of others, a set of practical skills that can be used daily, including being able to recognise the indications of mental health issues and feel confident guiding colleagues towards the correct professional support.
- And most importantly, it will equip you and your organisation or educational facility as a whole, with the capacity to deliver early intervention - thus promoting a swift recovery and a return back to mental wellbeing and back to work or learning.
When you have completed the course, you will receive a Certificate of Attainment, confirming that you are a trained Mental Health First Aider.